
Iran and the US begin fresh nuclear talks in Geneva, mediated by Oman, as both sides express cautious hope for a deal to avert potential military conflict.
GENEVA: Iran and the United States began fresh indirect talks in Geneva on Tuesday, mediated by Oman, aiming to avert potential US military action.
The discussions focus on Tehran’s nuclear programme, with Iran expressing cautious optimism about Washington’s “more realistic” position.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei said the US stance had moved “towards a more realistic one” based on preliminary discussions in Muscat.
The talks proceed with messages exchanged through Omani mediators, as confirmed by Iranian state TV.
Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi met his Omani counterpart in Geneva to discuss Iran’s position on nuclear issues and sanctions relief.
He stressed Tehran’s “seriousness in using result-oriented diplomacy to secure the legitimate interests and rights of the Iranian people”.
Iran insists discussions be limited to the nuclear issue, while Washington has previously pushed to include Tehran’s ballistic missiles and regional activities.
Ahead of the talks, US President Donald Trump warned of consequences should Tehran fail to strike a deal.
“I don’t think they want the consequences of not making a deal,” he told reporters aboard Air Force One.
Trump has repeatedly threatened military intervention over Iran’s nuclear programme and a recent crackdown on protesters.
A previous diplomatic attempt collapsed when Israel launched surprise strikes on Iran in June, triggering a brief war.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio stated, “We’re hopeful there’s a deal,” adding the president prefers peaceful outcomes.
Araghchi said on social media he came to “Geneva with real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal”.
He added there would be no “submission before threats” from the United States.
Concurrently, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps began war games in the Strait of Hormuz to prepare for “potential security and military threats”.
Iranian politicians have repeatedly threatened to block the strategic strait, a key route for global energy supplies.
Washington has dispatched Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner to the region.
Trump recently said a change of government in Iran would be the “best thing that could happen”.
He also sent a second US aircraft carrier to the Middle East to increase military pressure.
The first carrier, the USS Abraham Lincoln, was positioned about 700 kilometres from the Iranian coast as of Sunday.
Iran’s deputy foreign minister Majid Takht-Ravanchi told the BBC Tehran would consider compromises on its uranium stockpile if Washington lifted sanctions.
The sanctions have crippled Iran’s economy, eroding purchasing power amid rising prices and a sharp currency depreciation.
“If we see the sincerity on their (American) part, I am sure we will be on a road to have an agreement,” Takht-Ravanchi said.
Araghchi also met with the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, Rafael Grossi, in Geneva for a “deep technical discussion”.
The West fears Iran’s nuclear programme aims to build a bomb, a claim Tehran consistently denies.
The Sun Malaysia

