
The bones of Saint Francis of Assisi go on public display in Italy for a month, drawing global pilgrims for the 800th anniversary of his death.
ASSISI: The skeletal remains of Saint Francis of Assisi are on public display for the first time, marking the 800th anniversary of his death. The relics are housed in a nitrogen-filled plexiglass case within the Basilica of St Francis of Assisi.
The display, which runs until March 22, is expected to draw hundreds of thousands of visitors. Reservations already number almost 400,000 from around the world.
Communications director Giulio Cesareo said the “damaged” state of the bones shows the saint “gave himself completely” to his life’s work. He hopes the exhibition offers a meaningful experience for all.
The saint’s remains were transferred to the basilica in 1230, but his tomb was only rediscovered in 1818. Apart from a one-day viewing in 1978, the bones have remained hidden.
The transparent case is now inside a bullet-proof glass enclosure for protection. Surveillance cameras will monitor the site 24 hours a day.
The 800th anniversary also sees the restoration of a public holiday in the saint’s honour on October 4. This holiday had been scrapped nearly 50 years ago for budget reasons.
Its revival is also a tribute to the late Pope Francis, who took the saint’s name. Pope Francis died last year at the age of 88.
Visitor numbers are expected to surge dramatically during the display. The basilica usually sees 1,000 visitors per day on weekdays, rising to 4,000 on weekends.
Organisers now anticipate 15,000 visitors per day on weekdays and up to 19,000 on Saturdays and Sundays. Marco Moroni, guardian of the Franciscan convent, noted a clear predominance of Italian visitors.
Cesareo explained the Christian tradition of venerating relics, stating believers venerate “the presence of the Holy Spirit”. He assured the display would not affect the bones’ preservation.
“The display case is sealed, so there is no contact with the outside air,” Cesareo said. The church lighting will also remain subdued to protect the relics.
“The basilica will not be lit up like a stadium,” he added. “This is not a movie set.”
The Sun Malaysia

