
The ministry pledges to uphold the Queen’s decree on child online safety, prioritising action under the new Online Safety Act 2025.
JOHOR BAHRU: The Ministry of Communications has pledged to uphold a royal decree calling for serious attention to the online safety of children and adolescents.
Minister Datuk Fahmi Fadzil said the matter is already a top priority for his ministry and the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission.
He stated that under the Online Safety Act 2025, social media platform operators have been summoned to familiarise themselves with the act’s subsidiary instruments.
“They must also, within a short period, implement measures to prevent children under 16 from creating or accessing social media accounts,” he told reporters.
Fahmi added that platform operators are required to block online gambling ads, scams, AI deepfakes, and other risky activities.
“With fast, cheap, and widespread internet access, we are exposed to many criminal and harmful elements on social media,” he said.
He also noted a concerning rise in cyberbullying and sexual offences targeting children online.
The minister was speaking after launching the Jelajah Ramadan 2026 programme here.
Previously, Her Majesty Raja Zarith Sofiah decreed that online safety for the young must be taken seriously by authorities and the public.
The Queen warned that the digital space can be highly toxic and have long-term negative effects.
Her Majesty also expressed concern over growing mental health issues affecting children and adolescents.
Meanwhile, the Jelajah Ramadan 2026 programme will run for 20 days until March 8.
Now in its 14th edition, the tour involves 15 vehicles and around 40 crew members visiting 30 locations nationwide.
Launched in 2012, the programme holds the Malaysia Book of Records title for the Longest-running Corporate Social Responsibility Programme.
The Sun Malaysia

