📈 Explore REIT Investing with a Smarter Trading App

Perfect for investors focused on steady income and long-term growth.

📈 Start Trading Smarter with moomoo Malaysia →

(Sponsored — Trade REITs & stocks with professional tools and real-time market data)

DP World CEO Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem resigns after his name appears in the Jeffrey Epstein files, prompting investor scrutiny and suspensions.

DUBAI: The chief executive of Dubai port giant DP World has resigned after his name appeared in documents related to the late financier Jeffrey Epstein.

Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem stepped down as CEO and chair on Friday, a decision two sources directly familiar with the matter said was taken after his name surfaced in the U.S. Department of Justice files.

The documents show Epstein attempted to build a network of influential figures across the Middle East.

READ MORE: Dubai’s DP World replaces leader after he is named in Epstein emails

In one 2007 email to Epstein, Bin Sulayem discussed meeting a woman in New York whom Epstein had helped connect him with.

“Yes after several attempts for several months we managed to meet in NY,” he wrote, adding there was a misunderstanding because “she wanted some BUSINESS! while i only wanted some PUSSYNESS!”

He stated in the email that he did not have sex with the woman.

Dubai’s ruler also issued a decree appointing a new chairman for the Ports, Customs and Free Zone Corporation, another of Bin Sulayem’s roles.

Reuters independently reviewed some files relating to Bin Sulayem but could not ascertain the specific reason for his departure.

The sources, however, stated it was related to the Epstein files without providing further detail.

Bin Sulayem did not respond to requests for comment and DP World declined to comment.

Other emails show Epstein describing Bin Sulayem as funny, trustworthy and a foodie who does not drink and prays five times a day.

A publicly available undated photograph shows the two men cooking together.

Being named in the files is not evidence of criminal activity, but it prompted renewed questions from some of DP World’s financial backers.

The UK’s British International Investment (BII) and Canada’s Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ) pension fund last week suspended new investments with DP World.

“We are shocked by the allegations emerging in the Epstein Files regarding Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem,” a BII spokesperson said.

The spokesperson added they would not make new investments “until the required actions have been taken by the company.”

CDPQ said it was “pausing additional capital deployment” until DP World clarified the situation.

Following Friday’s leadership change, both investors welcomed the decision.

BII said it looked forward to continuing its partnership, while CDPQ said it would “move quickly to work with DP World’s new leadership.”

The released documents also reveal Epstein’s attempts to influence contacts across the Middle East.

He tried to advise Qatari figures during the 2017-21 blockade, urging the country in an exchange with Sheikh Jabor Yousuf Jassim Al Thani to “stop kicking and arguing.”

Epstein also said “the current Qatar team is very weak” and that “FM is not experienced and it shows,” referring to the foreign minister.

Qatar’s International Media Office, which handles media for the prime minister and foreign minister, declined to comment.

Epstein suggested Qatar should forge links with Israel to stay in favour with the Trump administration.

He proposed either moving towards recognition or pledging USD 1 billion to a terrorism victims fund.

Qatar ultimately maintained its independent course, and ties with the blockading nations were restored in 2021.

Other emails show Epstein discussing the Saudi Aramco initial public offering.

In a 2016 exchange, he warned that going public could expose Saudi Arabia to lawsuits and asset seizures.

The following year, he suggested selling China an option for a USD 100 billion stake instead of a traditional IPO.

Saudi Aramco declined to comment on the emails.

The documents also indicate Epstein’s reach extended to Egypt, with a 2011 request for help from the wife of Hosni Mubarak’s son, Gamal, passed on to him.

The nature of the assistance sought was not specified, and Reuters could not establish if Epstein intervened.

 The Sun Malaysia

📈 Explore REIT Investing with a Smarter Trading App

Perfect for investors focused on steady income and long-term growth.

📈 Start Trading Smarter with moomoo Malaysia →

(Sponsored — Trade REITs & stocks with professional tools and real-time market data)

About the Author

Danny H

Seasoned sales executive and real estate agent specializing in both condominiums and landed properties.

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}