
Two senior government agency officials have been released on bail in a Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission probe into alleged misappropriation of nearly RM900,000.
PUTRAJAYA: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission has released on bail a director-general and a director of a government agency. The two senior officials were being investigated for the alleged misappropriation of approximately RM900,000.
A source said the men, both in their 50s, were released last Friday and Saturday. They had been remanded from February 12 to assist in the graft probe.
“They were released earlier than the remand period granted after their statements were recorded,” the source said. The MACC is now finalising the investigation papers before submitting them to the Deputy Public Prosecutor.
The duo were arrested on February 11 after presenting themselves at the MACC headquarters. They are suspected of abusing their positions by using financial allocations at their workplace for personal gain.
The suspects are also believed to have submitted false claims for an umrah pilgrimage. These claims, amounting to about RM60,000, were made while they attended official duties in Jeddah from January 29 to February 4 last year.
MACC deputy chief commissioner (Operations) Datuk Seri Ahmad Khusairi Yahaya confirmed the case. He said statements had been recorded from 18 witnesses to facilitate the investigation.
He added that several items had been seized, including clothing, gadgets and sports equipment. The seized items are estimated to be worth about RM57,000.
The Sun Malaysia

