
KUALA TERENGGANU, May 21 — A former lecturer lost RM749,000 after she was deceived by a phone scam last year, Kuala Terengganu district police chief ACP Azli Mohd Noor said.
He added that the victim was contacted on July 13, 2025 by suspects impersonating insurance agents and the police, who accused her of being involved in money laundering and had to pay a sum of money for a Bank Negara investigation.
“She was asked to open two new bank accounts and hand the information to the suspect. She was also instructed to transfer money to several different accounts they provided.
“The victim was afraid of legal action and made payments totalling RM749,000 between August 2025 and January this year using her personal savings and bank loans,” he said in a statement today.
The victim grew suspicious and checked the phone number on the SemakMule app and found that it was owned by a scam syndicate.
She realised that she was scammed and lodged a police report yesterday, he said, adding that the case was being investigated under Section 420 of the Penal Code.
In another case, Azli said a senior citizen lost RM50,692 to an investment scam on Facebook last April when a suspect offered promised high returns on investments in just three to six hours.
The victim then made a first investment and was informed that he had gained a profit of RM20,039.68. But to withdraw the money, he had to pay RM1,450 as a processing fee.
“He was asked to make more money transfers based on various excuses even after paying the initial fee, till he suffered losses of RM50,392,” he said, adding that the victim lodged a police report yesterday after he realised he was scammed. — Bernama
Malay Mail – Malaysia

